Did you missed this webinar? If so, I recommend you take just 30 minutes and watch the recording. You’ll hear three people from the ZGF Architects Design Technology Team talk about the following topics:
- How they approach absolutely huge projects (......millions of square feet) like Google, Expedia and Expensify
- How planning over the past several years helped them successfully transition their people from the office to remote home-working to comply with the Covid 19 shelter-in-place orders
- How they supplement Autodesk Revit software with tools, including those from Ideate Software, to build the complex geometries needed for their ambitious designs
ZGF project for Google - Interior remodel of the hangar where Howard Hughes stored the Spruce Goose
I was pleased to welcome the following people from ZGF:
• Andrew Cocke, Design Technology Manager
• Dane Stokes, Design Technology Specialist
• Trevor Taylor, Associate Principal
Trevor said, “Ideate Software products are central to our toolkit. We particularly use Ideate BIMLink and Ideate Explorer. They're the MRI and CT scanners of our toolkit; they help to get inside the Revit model.”
Providing an example, they talked about a project with 1,500 parking spaces that needed to be sequentially numbered and labeled. The team used Ideate BIMLink to export the data to Microsoft Excel, where they easily sorted, numbered and labeled the spots. The project, which had been budgeted for three days, took less than 30 minutes.
“Focus on using the right tools,” said Trever. “If you only have a sledgehammer, all your projects will end up looking like rocks.”
About the Author
Richard W. Taylor, Associate AIA – Technical Evangelist
Richard has more than 30 years of experience working for companies that develop architectural and engineering software solutions, such as Intergraph, Bentley, and Autodesk. He has over 20 years of Revit experience, and he was part of the original development of Revit while at Revit Technology Corporation. He worked for 12 years at Autodesk, where he presented, taught, and worked to improve features in Revit. Richard holds both a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies and Master of Architecture from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. As Technical Evangelist, Richard works with AECO clients worldwide, developing and consulting on BIM solutions. Find Richard on Twitter and LinkedIn.