This is the first post in a series of three provided by BIMAGE Consulting, our value-added reseller in Singapore. Keep an eye out for additional posts on how our other Revit productivity tools also contribute to successful BCA BIM e-submissions in that country.
Established in 2010, BIMAGE is the leading technology company in BIM/VDC and Digitized Construction within Singapore. BIMAGE helps customers optimize design development, construction and operation phases of buildings and infrastructure while using various technologies, including Revit and Ideate Software tools plus other BIM software such as virtual design and construction, augmented reality/virtual reality, geographic information systems, cloud, mobile and more.
The Challenge – Complying with Varying E-Submission Requirements
For several years, Singapore Building and Construction Authority (BCA) has mandated that design consultants submit their native BIM models for new developments with a gross floor area of more than 5,000 square meters through an e-submission system for design approval. E-submission is voluntary for developments with a gross floor area less than or equal to 5,000 square meters.
In line with this, BCA published several Code of Practices for BIM e-submission to clearly define the requirements for each discipline. There are also templates for different BIM software along with the respective guidelines and recommended processes.
Screenshot of e-submission page showing the many links to instructions and forms by discipline
Using the e-submission system, design consultants must obtain approval from seven different authorities before commencing the construction work for any project, and each has different criteria and requirements.
When design consultants prepare the BIM models for the submission, they often spend a significant amount of time:
- Creating multiple views and sheets for all regulatory agencies
- Adhering to the various naming conventions and standards
- Completing extensive quality checks
Some examples include removing worksets, making sure all views are located on the correct View Category, updating the cover page, and ensuring the BIM model meets all the requirements.
Example of View Categories and Views for one of the seven regulatory agencies
Speeding the Process with Three IdeateApps Tools
With Ideate Software tools, most of these tasks can be quickly completed within hours or even minutes. Here are some examples of how three tools within the IdeateApps collection speed the process, eliminate errors, and reduce frustrations:
- Ideate ViewCreator is a perfect tool to help consultants create multiple views with customizable rule sets and criteria. While duplicating the required views, consultants can easily adjust many settings, including:
- View naming
- View scales
- View templates
- Scope boxes
- Ideate SheetManager is used by consultants to create multiple new sheets and manage the views on sheets, as well as perform one-click sheet cloning and view alignments to satisfy submission needs.
- Ideate SpellCheck can then be used to check the spelling of all sheets at once, so the team can spot mistakes and make corrections in time.
Undoubtedly, IdeateApps is a valuable productivity application that assists in the BCA BIM e-submission process. BIMAGE Consulting has helped many consultants to adopt Ideate Software workflows on multiple projects.