We at Ideate Software love Revit software. We know how powerful it is and how it transforms the way Revit users in the architecture, engineering, construction, and owner-operator fields perform their jobs. As powerful as Revit is, it does have some limitations. Our goal as a company is to talk with Revit users, learn which of those limitations create the greatest challenges, and develop plugins for Revit that address those challenges.
Reasons the Architecture, Engineering, Construction, and Owner-Operator Industries use Revit
Used by an estimated 4 million subscribers around the world, Revit is the most popular BIM tool within the AEC community. Why? People love it because it excels at transforming data created in 3D models into realistic documentation and visualizations of buildings and structures that architects, MEP engineers, structural engineers, construction workers, building managers, and others use to share, review, update, and confirm designs. The single platform used for multidisciplinary BIM workflows, from design through operation, leads to enhanced designs, fewer errors, and less rework, all which contribute to an outstanding employee and client experience.
In addition to enabling the sharing, syncing, and iterating designs between architects, engineers, contractors, building operators, and others, Revit software also delivers specialty toolsets that offer capabilities specific to each discipline. Here are a just few examples:
- Architects create fully functional mock-ups of buildings that not only support construction, but also help sales and marketing teams because they can walk potential clients and other stakeholders through the building and point out specific features that interest the specific audience.
- For remodels and renovations, Revit software can integrate with Autodesk ReCap, which allows the user to take points from photographs of existing structures and import them into Revit, so architects work with an accurate portrayal of the buildings.
- Using the analysis features in Revit, architects can optimize the performance of a building in the early stages, run cost estimates, and monitor performance over the lifetime of the project and the building.
- Structural Engineers
- Complying with local requirements is easy in Revit because the software works with localized libraries and templates that can be edited to meet the needs of any project.
- Detailed 3D Revit models are used to create many bidirectional views, like 3D details, schedules, and sections. Since all the views are stored in the same model, when the engineer makes a change to one, the others automatically update.
- While creating the physical model in Revit, the engineers use the analytical model to conduct structural analysis and export to analysis and design applications.
- MEP Engineers
- This easy-to-use modeling tool increases the productivity of MEP professionals by automatically placing ducts, pipes, and fittings.
- With access to manufacturer-specific content, the engineers create exact digital representations prior to construction as well as as-built models after construction.
- By using the multiple views in a Revit model, engineers check for clashes and issues in the design process, avoiding costly on-site mistakes.
- Construction teams prepare construction documents with 2D drafting services that include elevation plans, foundation plans, roofing, sectional drawings, structural framing, floor plans, and more.
- By automatically calculating the amount of material needed, Revit helps contractors minimize waste, reduce the cost of the project, and keep the project moving forward instead of dealing with material shortages.
- Before any construction begins, contractors confirm that the designs can be successfully implemented by assessing the steadiness of the foundation, systems, fixtures, material choices, etc. to detect flaws.
Enhancing the Power of Revit with Ideate Software Plugins
Ideate Software is an Autodesk Authorized Developer and is a member of the Autodesk Developer Network. We develop Revit plugins that give customers unprecedented access to and control over their Revit data. In 2008 we launched our first Revit plugin, Ideate Explorer. Since then, we added Ideate BIMLink, Ideate Sticky, Ideate StyleManager, and IdeateApps to our list of tools that solve persistent problems for Revit users in architecture, engineering, construction, and building management. In June 2022, we launched Ideate Automation 2.0 to boost the power of our plugins for Revit by running time-intensive activities in the background. All our tools help Revit users perform tasks in much less time, freeing them to spend more time on interesting and valuable activities.
Here are highlights of the capabilities of our tools:
- Ideate Explorer – To solve the challenge of finding hidden problems in a Revit model, we developed Ideate Explorer, which is a model browser that shows each instance of elements within the Revit model; the browser in Revit is simply a project browser. With Ideate Explorer, users can easily:
- Search for and find hidden problem items including DWG imports or links
- Navigate through view-based elements within Revit
- Search on parameters such as elements assigned a certain size
- Review and manage Revit warnings
- Ideate BIMLink – Data in Revit models needs to be checked regularly for accuracy, and when design changes occur, it needs to be updated. The process in Revit can be time consuming and frustrating for everyone involved, from the person entering the data to the people waiting for the end product. Ideate BIMLink eliminates the problem by enabling users to move data from Revit into Excel, where its powerful functionality makes verifying, correcting, and updating data fast and easy. Then, when the data is correct, the user simply uses Ideate BIMLink to bring it back into the model, which automatically updates. Tasks that once took hours take just minutes.
- Ideate Sticky – Revit teams need access to a wealth of non-BIM data, which, without Ideate Sticky, is difficult to format nicely. With Ideate Sticky, users live link formatted text in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PDF documents to their Revit projects, ensuring everyone has access to the correct information, such as:
- Building codes
- General notes
- Abbreviation lists
- Consultant data
- Document issue records
- Ideate StyleManager – A bloated Revit file doesn’t perform well, and one of the most common causes of a bloated file is extraneous data which often comes from copying and pasting data from other files. Done incorrectly, this process brings in all the style information associated with the original file. With Ideate StyleManager, one of our plugins for Revit, this is never a problem, because users can quickly analyze, delete, or merge non-standard styles.
- IdeateApps – This collection of 10 tools streamlines common tasks identified by Revit users as tedious, time consuming, and error prone, such as batch-creating views, copying sheets, aligning plan views, renumbering elements, ensuring the legibility of annotations, and more. Whether used as Revit architecture plugins or by MEP or structural engineers, the IdeateApps Revit plugin delivers insight into models, improves the quality of Revit models, and frees the users’ time to do more interesting and valuable activities.
- Ideate Automation – We developed this scripting tool to automate time consuming tasks in Revit and Ideate Software solutions, such as:
- Creating PDF exports from Revit files
- Auditing Revit family size
- Checking compliance with standards in Revit
- Automating common tasks in Ideate Software applications for Revit to:
- Create health check reports
- Create document issue records
- Manage COBie data
- Generate quantity take-off data
- Extract model warnings data
- Review Revit model style information
- Review annotation clashes on views and sheets
Visit our website to learn more about our Revit BIM Tools. When you’re ready to take the next step, contact us, get 30-day trial versions, or choose the subscription option that best meets your needs.
See Workflow Demonstrations
There are hundreds of ways to use Ideate Software plugins for Revit. Check out our Video Library to see how to streamline the Revit workflows causing you trouble.
Browse our website to explore Ideate Software’s range of Revit tools and see how they can make your Revit projects faster, simpler, and more accurate.
If you have any questions, reach out to us. We are here to help you understand and use our Revit plugin solutions.