Over the past few days, a new challenge has surfaced in our support system as an unexpected result of working from home with Ideate Sticky while also using Microsoft’s Remote Desktop.
Problem: Ideate Stickies are displaying at a different size, now that you are working remotely (thanks #covid19).
(Click on image to enlarge)
Culprit: Using Microsoft’s Remote Desktop can cause a unique condition where the font scaling of the primary computer is different from the font scaling of the computer to which you are remoting into. This condition cannot be detected by Revit or Ideate Sticky. This problem becomes obvious when the Stickies are being auto-updated while this condition is true. If this Remote Desktop condition exists, the problem will surface whenever:
- A new Sticky is created
- Existing Stickies are updated
- Existing Stickies are auto-updated (i.e. the referenced Excel files are modified by you or someone else and the auto-update feature is in use)
- If you are using Microsoft’s Remote Desktop, ensure your home computer font scaling matches your work computer. See image for method (click on image to enlarge).
- Use Chrome’s Remote Desktop or another solution like Team Viewer
Fixing Modified Stickies
If your project contains Stickies that have already been altered because of this condition, use one of these methods to fix the problem:
- If possible, close the model without saving, then close Revit and use one of the workarounds to update your Stickies or when creating new Stickies.
- If the modified Stickies have already been saved, close Revit and then use one of the workarounds methods to open the file, then update all Stickies.
Stay safe out there, and let our support team know if you have any questions.
About the Author
Glynnis Patterson, NCARB – Director of Software Development
Glynnis is a registered architect and has worked within the building information modeling (BIM) industry since 1998. A graduate of Carnegie Mellon University, she has worked as an architect, educator and construction site manager. Glynnis is the Director of Software Development Services and continues to work with AECO clients worldwide, developing, and consulting on solutions to BIM challenges. In her spare time, Glynnis volunteers for the local high school and with growitgreenmorristown.org. Find Glynnis on LinkedIn.