Audit Revit Room and Space Data Related to View References with Ideate BIMLink
Ideate BIMLink has the unique ability to report on the Revit Room or Space data as it relates to some types of View References. A View Reference is the generic term for the Annotation elements such as Elevation Marks, Sections Marks, Cameras, etc. that refer to a specific view.
For Interior Elevation views, this ability to report on the Room or Space data means that the View name can be easily correlated to the Room/Space number and name. There are three unique Ideate BIMLink properties that can assist in auditing your Interior Elevation View names: View Orientation (which way is the tag facing), Elevation: Room, and Elevation: Space. The Elevation: Room and Elevation: Space properties allow for any Room property that corresponds to the View Reference; so Room Name, Room Number, Room Department, etc. could be included. Follow the steps below to test drive this process.
STEP 1 - Create New Interior Elevation Views
In this example we will use the rac_advanced_sample_project.rvt file that ships with Revit.
- Open the 01 — Entry Level Plan view.
- From the Views menu, choose Elevation, then pick “Interior Elevation” from the properties palette.
- Place a new elevation marker in several different rooms.
- Proceed to Step 2 to export this data to Excel.
STEP 2 - Export to Excel
The simplest way to audit the Interior Elevation is to use the Sample Link called "QC-Views_Interior-Audit".
- Launch Ideate BIMLink then select the New button.
- Select the Browse option on the left, then pick the Quality Control folder.
- Select "QC-Views_Interior-Audit" link defintion.
- Select the Filters tab to review the settings. If your interior elevation names don’t include the word “interior” you will want to adjust the filter accordingly.
- Select OK to complete the creation of the new link defintion, then use Export option to create an Excel file.
- When prompted use the option to open the newly created Excel file.
STEP 3 - Use Excel to Review and Edit
The Excel file can be sorted to fit your needs. In the screenshot below we can see that views 2-d, 2-a, 2-b, and 2-c should be renamed to include 102 Lobby and also an orientation to keep them unique.
Tips for renaming the views:
- In Excel be sure to sort by the Elevation: Room Number and the View Orientation fields to easily identify views that need to be fixed.
- Remember that the View Name field needs to be unique, but that the “Title on Sheet” does not need to be unique.
- You could automate the view names by using Excel formulas. We suggest using one of these formulas within the “Title on Sheet” field to avoid duplication errors. In these examples, Column D is the Elevation Room Number, Column E is the Elevation: Room Name and Column F is the View Orientation.
- =D2&" "&E2
- =D3&" "&E3&(IF(F3=0," North",IF(F3=90," East",IF(F3=180," South"," West"))))
- Ideate BIMLink customers can request the file shown below to review these and the additional formula options.