Getting Started with Ideate Automation
is a Revit-based product that is licensed separately from other Ideate Software products and is used to automatically run Revit and execute on a variety of tasks. Whether you are trying out our no-cost trial or have a licensed version of Ideate Automation you should follow these steps to get started.
- Follow the steps below for the Open File Exercise to ensure proper setup of Ideate Automation.
- Complete the other exercises found within the Getting Started Guide.
- Optionally set up the Autodesk customer integration with our Ideate Cloud Connector to allow testing of your BIM360/ACC files.
- Learn about the top workflows for Automation within each of these separately licensed solutions: Ideate BIMLink, Ideate Explorer, Ideate StyleManager, and IdeateApps.
Open File Exercise
In this exercise, we will use the script named AUT-Open_RVT_Files to confirm that Ideate Automation can be used to open the correct version of Revit, and open the selected file.
Start a Task
- From your Desktop or Windows search, launch Ideate Automation.
- Select the Create option at the left to see the list of available scripts.
- In the Library Folders under Automation Scripts, select the 01 General folder.
- Pick AUT-Open_RVT_Files in the Scripts list on the right, then select Next.
Select a Revit File
- There are three variables associated with this script:
- Revit Files: Lets you browse to a Revit file or files.
- Use File List: A yes/no option for an Advanced Workflow. It will be disabled by default.
- Open files with all worksets closed: A yes/no option.
- Select Browse to choose a Revit file.
- From this dialog you can load any live cloud or local models that have been previously added to your local cache.
- Select the Local Models option for this exercise.
- Read more about Local versus Central Files
- If this is your first time using Ideate Automation, you will need to add one or more local files.
- Select Manage.
- From the Manage dialog, select Add Files and browse to: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 202x\Samples.
- Select 1-3 Revit sample files from this folder. It may take a few seconds for them to display.
- Select Create Task Wizard on the left, pick the Browse button to select one of the recently added local files, then select Next.
Review and Start Task
- Before starting any task you should always review the task name and the variables.
- Notice that the default Task Name is the Script Name joined with the Revit File name.
- You can rename the task to suit your preferences.
- Select the Save and Run to begin the task.
- Revit will open in the correct Release Year per the file selected.
- There will be a message on top of Revit informing you that automated processes are running.
- Ideate Automation will show a progress bar.
- When the task reaches the end, the Status should display Completed.
- If a task fails to complete, a different status will be displayed. You can view the task log to investigate further.
NOTE: You can repeat the process above with the Live Cloud Models option once you have completed the Ideate Cloud Connector integration.
Ready to learn more? Please also see: Getting Started Guide
Top of Page