Getting Started with Ideate Automation
Ideate Automation is a Revit-based product that is licensed separately from other Ideate Software products and is used to automatically run Revit and execute on a variety of tasks. Whether you are trying out our no-cost trial or have a licensed version of Ideate Automation you should follow these steps to get started.
- Follow the steps below for the Open File Exercise to ensure proper setup of Ideate Automation.
- Complete the other exercises found within the Getting Started Guide.
- Optionally set up the Autodesk customer integration with our Forge Connector to allow testing of your BIM360/ACC files.
- Learn about the top workflows for Automation within each of these separately licensed solutions: Ideate BIMLink, Ideate Explorer, Ideate StyleManager, and IdeateApps.
Open File Exercise
In this exercise we will use the script called “AUT-Open File” to confirm that Ideate Automation can be used to open the correct version of Revit, open the selected file, and then close the file and close Revit.
Start a Task
- From your Desktop or Windows search, launch Ideate Automation.
- Select the Create option at the left to see the list of available scripts.
- Select the 01 General folder under Automation Scripts
- Pick AUT-Open File on the right, then select Next.
Select a Revit File
- There are two variables associated with this script, the Revit file name, and a yes/no option to open the file with all worksets open. Opening the file with worksets open will take more time, so leave the option set to default False.
- Select the Browse button to select a Revit file. From this dialog you can load any live cloud or local model that has been previously added to your local cache. Select the Local Models option for this exercise.
- If this is your first time using Ideate Automation on a local model, you will need to use the Manage button to add one or more local files. Select the Manage button.
- From the Manage dialog, select the Add Files button and browse to this location: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 202x\Samples
- Select 1-3 Revit sample files from this folder. It may take a few seconds for them to display.
- Select the Create option on the left again to now pick the Browse button to select one of the recently added local files, then select Next.
Review and Start Task
- Before starting any task you should always review the task name and the variables. On this page notice that the task name will be based on the name of the file you selected as shown in the image above.
- Select the Save and Run button to begin this task.
- You will see the Revit open, with the required version per the file selected. When Revit is closed you will see the task status as “Completed”. If a task fails to complete, you can view the task log to investigate why or refer to instructions on how to send the task log.
- The task name as shown above will display in the task list on the Home page.
NOTE: You can repeat the process above with the Live Cloud Models option once you have completed the Autodesk Forge Connector integration.
Ready to learn more? Please also see: Getting Started Guide