Create New Masses and Generic Models
Ideate BIMLink allows the creation of new Mass and new Generic Model families in Revit using data from an Excel spreadsheet. To create new elements:
- Ensure that the Mass or Generic Model elements to be created are already defined within the current Revit project. Place at least one instance of this family within the project (it can be deleted later). For space planning purposes, we recommend using a non-work-plane based Mass family so that the Level property can be used. A sample Mass family is provided within C:\Program Files\Ideate\Ideate Software 2016\Ideate BIMLink\en-US\Samples\Conceptual Design called "Box-Ideate_2014.rfa".
- In Ideate BIMLink use the Sample Link called "Masses-Create_NEW" or "Generic_Models-Create_NEW". These links include the "Level" property which only applies to non-work-plane based families. If your project is using a work-plane based familly this property will not apply and may be stripped out of the link definition.
- Export to Excel and open the Excel file.
- For each new element that you would like to create, enter the value "NEW" in the Id column.
- Edit other properties as desired. If you leave the "Family and Type" field empty it will use the first family loaded. You can use formulas or enter specific coordinate values for the X and Y coordinates. If you are using a non-work-plane based family you can edit the Level as well.
- Rows representing any existing Masses or Generic Models can be deleted if desired; this will have no effect on the existing elements when the spreadsheet is imported.
- Import the Excel spreadsheet back into Revit.
NOTE: If the specified 'Family and Type' value is not assigned Ideate BIMLink will create a new element based on the last valid element defined.
Mass elements are often used for space planning activities. Existing customers can request a Massing sample dataset which includes a schedule, custom tag and corresponding Excel file that can be used to create new Masses using this method.
Tips for Creating Rooms / Spaces
Rooms and Spaces will be set to the Design Option and/or Phase associated with the active view, regardless of the value for Phase or Design Option in the link. If you need to create different Rooms / Spaces for different Phases or different Design Options follow these tips to ensure the best outcome:
- Create multiple Excel files and perform each import separately, having changed the Phase or Design Option in between each import.
- Do not include the Phase or Design Option properties within the Link definition.
Submit feature or issue request for Ideate Software
Please fill in the form below completely and then click the Submit button. If you're reporting a bug, it will be helpful if you give the steps on how to reproduce the bug.
Thank you for taking time to inform us about a bug or feature request.
If you'd like to upload a file to help explain the issue, you can upload a file to Hightail.